Re: Oracle RAC, SAN & minimal LUN sizes for OCR/VOTING disks

From: Surachart Opun <surachart_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 01:26:24 +0700

  • What is the minimal # of OCR & VOTING disks needed for a production (I mean production) system

From 10g R2 , Oracle Recommend OCR and VOTING File 256 MB and If you have plan to use ASM, don't forgot to allocate for SPFILE (ASM) 50M

If you have plan to use 11gR2, you can store OCR, VOTE and SPFLE(ASM) in ASM DiskGroups (DGDATA or DGFRA).

  • will having a 72 GB LUN for OCR or VOTING cause performance issues? I have no idea... But You may make partition from your LUN (72 GB)

Example: sub partition disk (use 1 OCR File + 1 VOTE File, if Storage is A High Availability )
72 GB = /dev/emcpowera

/dev/emcpowera1 = 256M = OCR
/dev/emcpowera2 = 256M = VOTE
/dev/emcpowera3 = 50M = SPFILE(ASM)