valid node xmlparser oracle 10g

From: Michael McMullen <>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:57:06 -0500

Does anyone know offhand if nodes like "n1:submit" is valid in xml. All of our xml is changing that we parse to run reports on and our tests are saying

SQL> select

d.xml_data.extract('/n1:submit').getClobVal() omdata

from miketest.om_order_load d 2 3 ;

ERROR: ORA-31011: XML parsing failed

ORA-19202: Error occurred in XML processing

LPX-00601: Invalid token in: '/n1:submit'

ORA-06512: at "SYS.XMLTYPE", line 111

I have loaded another test file without the colons and I get back data, so I'm thinking the : is not valid. We are very downstream from the data and don't have insight or a say in how they give us the data until it goes prod, so we're not sure if this is just dummy data or how we'll actually get it.