Re: Oracle10g running on Solaris Containers

From: Tanel Poder <>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:00:53 +0800

If there are crashes, there usually are crashdumps (written by Oracle) or coredumps (written by OS signal handlers).

So, you could check if you see any files in following directories:

  1. /var/adm/crash
  2. /var/cores
  3. whatever is specified in Oracle's core_dump_dest param

Also run ulimit -a as your Oracle user to make sure that corefile sizes haven't been set to 0:

tanel_at_solaris01:~$ ulimit -a

core file size          (blocks, -c) *unlimited*
open files                      (-n) 256
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 10
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 29995

If you find an OS-generated corefile, you can run pstack on it to see in which functions the crash happened and put these functions into metalink or send to support.

Without a corefile (or any logfile entries returning the signal/error code why a process was forced to exit) its guesswork...

Tanel Poder

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM, <> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> We recently migrated few database ( and from Solaris 9
> running on E25k to Solaris 10 running on T5120 running multiple zones.
> Entire directory structure was moved from old machine to new machine.
> Oracle relinking was successful.
> Since then, database are crashing frequently. mainly process (pmon or smon)
> would simply die. Unix sas could not find any thing. I could not find any
> thing either.
> One thing I noticed, on old machine I had only one dbwriter dbw0 but on new
> machine I have upto six or seven dbwrites (dbw0, dbw1,....). No parameter
> change have been made. I am not sure why this change in number of dbwrites
> and if it has any relevance.
> I have forwarded metalink note 317257.1 to UNIX sas.
> Does any one has been running Oracle10g on Solaris containers? Any
> problems/issues?
> Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> Mayen
-- Tanel Poder --