Anyone know of an Oracle suitable AMI in eu-west?

From: Martin Bach <>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:01:25 +0000

Hi all,

I am trying to get my feet wet with Amazon's EC2 and so far have to say I like it. Got a rightscale centos 5.2 up and running, allocated 20G of storage and installed 11.2.

The problem is that the rightscale AMI only claims to be centos 5.2, it's actually a fedora core 8 kernel mixed with other centos 5.2 components. I didn't get amslib or raw devices to work in a reasonable amount of time and became frustrated with the number of kernels and libraries/modules/header files.

So-does anyone know of a suitable AMI I could use for Oracle? The only requirement is that I can base my own AMI on it and it should be centos 5.x/OEL 5.x (non redhat, they are more expensive) It seems to be a lot easier to create a custom AMI based on an existing AMIs. Oh, and I don't want to use the Oracle AMIs, they don't come with 11.2 yet.

PS: Sorry for the acronyms!

Martin Bach
OCM 10g