Re: up2date

From: dave <david.best_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:01:12 -0400

[Submitting again, I forgot to remove some of the quotes and my post was flagged for overquoting. ;)]

We have OEL support from Oracle as well and I would be disappointed to find out that they aren't more helpful than they have been to Eugene with respect to upgrading. I'm pretty sure RedHat would help....

As others have mentioned, using up2date only applies the latest fixes for the current release you are on. If you want to move up from say 4.7 to 5.3 then its a different process.

FYI: here is the redhat documentation, which should hold true for OEL.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch23s01.html

You can upgrade in place but they recommend reinstallation.... I currently support some OEL environments but I haven't had to upgrade them yet.. So i'm not sure what kind of problems you could hit doing the upgrade method but the link above talks to that.