RE: hadoop ... cloudbase - threat or just passing clouds ?!!

From: hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:59:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

The thing that people like us would be interested might be this

http://db.cs.yale.edu/hadoopdb/hadoopdb.pdf

Hadoop itself as a standlone i am not sure as i have not handled the kind of workload that manifest in facebook or twitter

regards
Hrishy
  • On Tue, 27/10/09, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> wrote:

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> Subject: RE: hadoop ... cloudbase - threat or just passing clouds ?!! To: premj_at_rediffmail.com, oracle-l_at_freelists.org Date: Tuesday, 27 October, 2009, 7:14 PM

Prem,

    I would imagine that hadoop will be another of those flash in the pan projects that withers on the vine.  For one nothing outside of Hadoop supports the hbase database that they've created. and outside vendor support is the life blood of any supporting matter, like hadoop.

    Now I'm not suggesting that we all simply keep our heads in the sand, the older more established database vendors like Oracle will be around for quite some time to come.  Any radical change, like Hdoop and Goggles BigFile system, tend to remain point solutions to someone's peculiar problem.  In hadoop's case it appears to be a open source project that is simply the desire of a handful of parties interested in finding a new way to re-invent the wheel.  The software industry has a habit of doing that since day one.  Pity too since some of those efforts took a fairly simple process and turned it into a real mess.  Take C and C++ as an example.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Prem Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:23 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: hadoop ... cloudbase - threat or just passing clouds ?!!

Just happened to read about - hadoop , cloudbase etc. are these real threat to RDBMS or just passing clouds ?!!

What would be nextgen database or data
storage (sounds better) technology ?

Thoughts ?! Comments ?! Anyone .

~ prem ~