Re: up2date

From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_epicadvertising.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:04:18 -0500

Hi Eugene

The way you are running Up2date will only apply packages up to the latest RHEL 4. I get an impression you want to update to RHEL 5. I would advice you do not do that on a production server.

If you however insist on upgrading 4 to 5, you can change the repository that up2date is working with, and point it to a OEL 5. I have a feeling stuff will break and you will have a miserable evening.

Google on upgrading RHEL 4 to RHEL5. That will generate more search hits. There is practically no difference between OEL and RHEL except branding

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> To: 'oracle-l List' <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tue Oct 27 15:56:37 2009
Subject: up2date
Hi all,
Well, I am new to Linux. Trying to upgrade our current OEL 4 to the latest release. Opened an SR with Oracle Support where I was advised to run up2date. Configured, ran it till it said that no more packages required. Rebooted the server. Checked Linux version and … it still shows the same version. Conveyed that to support person, who told me that he wants to close the case unless I have other issues than running up2date.
  1. What do I need to do to update to the latest version?
  2. Don’t you think that this should be covered by Oracle support since we’re paying for it?

Regards,

Eugene Pipko
Seattle Pacific Industries
office: 253.872.5243