Re: Monitoring the "Checkpoint not complete" event

From: Surachart Opun <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:23:48 +0700

To Dimitre,

About script monitor... You need to check "Checkpoint not complete" in alert log file

If you use Enterprise Manager, You can set

"Metric and Policy Settings" ->
at "Generic Alert Log Error" Metric
 modify value to monitor "Checkpoint not complete"

if you don't have EM, you may make alert log error notification like

You can check, How often switch log at... SQL> alter session set nls_date_format='YYYY/MM/DD HH24:MI:SS'; SQL> select * from v$log_history order by FIRST_TIME; -- check first_time between 2 times.

If In normal time, your database often switches logfile... you have to tune it.
- Make DBGW faster: tune DBWR by enable ASYNC I/O, using DBGW I/O slaves (dbwr_io_slaves) or using multiple processes(db_writer_processes). - Add more redo log file.
- Re-create the log files with a larger size.

Surachart Opun