Re: tnsManager Vs OID

From: Kerry Osborne <kerry.osborne_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:07:53 -0500

OID has been positioned as an industrial strength LDAP server. The pitch has been that because the data is stored in an Oracle database, all the basic advantages of Oracle apply (i.e. scalability, HA, recoverability, advanced replication capabilities, etc...) For example, a couple of my co-workers worked on a project where two OID thingies (not sure what to call them - containers maybe?) were created on separate RAC databases with two way replication between them. One was primary for users in the western half of the US, the other was primary for the rest. If I remember correctly, they had physical standbys hanging off of them as well. This was intended to be an enterprise wide mechanism for authenticating to all the companies apps. So availability was very important to say the least. I'm not saying other solutions couldn't match these kinds of capabilities, but that's how Oracle positioned it.

In addition, Oracle has bought a whole slew of companies with products in the identity management space and has been attempting to merge them into a cohesive product for the past couple of years. If the acquisition of Sun goes through, they will have yet another strong offering in that space to consider.

Kerry Osborne
Enkitec
blog: kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com