Re: Question on bigfiles

From: Hemant K Chitale <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:15:21 +0800

I've read about multi-section backups for bigfile. But I wonder how well it scales against multiple datafiles being backed up concurerntly (obviously, using multiple channels). Also, how fast is the *restore* operation ?

(yikes ! Ever have to restore bigfile from tape, unless your bigfile isn't really very big.)

Hemant K Chitale

At 12:07 AM Tuesday, Robert Freeman wrote:
> >>with Bigfile tablespaces... RMAN will use only ONE channel to
> backup a bigfile.
>Not true in 11gR1 and later. You can use multi-section backups in
>RMAN and "Chunk" up any datafile (bigfile or smallfile) onto
>multiple channels. Makes for a neat tuning trick if you have a
>database with a small number of very big datafiles.
>Robert G. Freeman

Hemant K Chitale