Re: Question on bigfiles

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:07:00 -0700 (PDT)

>>with Bigfile tablespaces... RMAN will use only ONE channel to backup a bigfile.

Not true in 11gR1 and later. You can use multi-section backups in RMAN and "Chunk" up any datafile (bigfile or smallfile) onto multiple channels. Makes for a neat tuning trick if you have a database with a small number of very big datafiles.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles