background tracefiles reset

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:40:42 -0500

Folks, is there any way to force Oracle background processes to close and re-open their trace files? As an example, say we've got 4 archiver processes with 4 trace files:
db_arc1_1234.trc
db_arc2_1235.trc
db_arc3_1236.trc
db_arc4_1237.trc

Over time as the instance stays up and processes don't crash, these trace files grow. If we ever want to "clean them up", it'd be great to get those processes to close the file, then we'd copy, tar, gzip those files, then have the process open a new file (same name).

I could try copying the file while it's opened and then "cat /dev/null >db_arc1_1234.trc", but I'm reluctant to test this on production and I don't have anywhere to test this.

The reason this is an issue is we've got trace files that have grown large over time and previously we blindly removed these files. The problem is, since the processes had them opened, future writes couldn't be done and if there's a major crash (which we've had) no tracing gets written. Argg!

David C. Herring  | DBA, Acxiom Database Services

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax 1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.