RE: Use of OID for name resolution

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:09:18 -0400

In the 11.2.0.1 database I tested on, global_names is set to FALSE....and it worked....

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:08 PM To: yong321_at_yahoo.com
Cc: Bobak, Mark; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Use of OID for name resolution

if global_name = true then this is documented behavior IIRC

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com<mailto:yong321_at_yahoo.com>> wrote:
> Check out tnsManager, here:
> http://www.shutdownabort.com/tnsmanager/
Mark,

Do you know if tnsManager has the capability of resolving a connection for your SQL that references a remote connection without a DB link? What I mean is that, with OID (or NAMES), "select * from t_at_conn" works even without creating the database link "conn", as long as

  • "conn" is a connection string entry in OID that resolves to a remote database
  • The DB server you run the query on is configured to look up names in OID
  • The username/password are the same for this local and the "conn" database (if not, you get ORA-1017, but not ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found)

I find this feature quite convenient when I need to access a remote database on a temporary, or even permanent, basis.

Yong Huang