Re: Oracle RAC test lab equipment

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:40:04 +0100

Hi!

Upendra N wrote:
> I am trying to build a test lab with Oracle RAC:
> I have 2 servers dedicated for this purpose each with 2 gigabit interfaces.
> They have 1 CPU Quad core with 8GB memory, they will be running RHEL4
> 64-bit.
> Do you have any recommendation for networking and storage equipment that
> is reasonably priced (~$500) ?

Why don't you ty to use openfiler or another free iSCSI implementation? Easy enough for me to set up and all you need is Ethernet cables. If you are interested in openfiler, you might want to check the following blog entries (WARNING: shameless plug here!)

http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/getting-started-with-iscsi-part-i-openfiler-fundamentals/
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/getting-started-with-iscsi-part-ii-presenting-storage/
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/getting-started-with-iscsi-part-iii-mounting-storage/

You could also use your machines to run Oracle VM and virtualise RAC on them, which is supported and documented on metalink,.

> It would be great if you could provide model numbers or high level specs.

Then again, on the other hand there are lots of small NAS appliances out that that can do iSCSI too. Openfiler requires that you already have hardware available.

> Thank you
> -Upendra

Hope that helps.

--