Re: 11g R2 Feedback?

From: Kerry Osborne <kerry.osborne_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:40:03 -0500

I concur with Mark. We have had several 11gR1 instances in production for 2 years now. They started on 11.1.0.6 and were upgraded to 11.1.0.7 a few months after it was released. Most of them are RAC clusters on Dell boxes running Redhat. There have been very few issues and now show stoppers. We haven't made extensive use of new features, but all in all I'd say that this has been the best quality control I've seen from an initial release. The fact that the releases have been spaced about a year apart:
    11.1.0.6 - July 2007
    11.1.0.7 - September 2008
    11.2.0.1 - September 2009

also indicates to me that the whole development / release schedule has matured into a much more disciplined process.

At this point I'd be quite willing to take a chance on an initial release (after a couple of months of testing). Prior to 11g I would not have made that statement. So I'd say yeah, very positive experience with 11g in general. We have only rolled one R2 instance into production so far (and it was a brand new app) but based on the experience with R1, I would not be afraid to use it.

Kerry Osborne
Enkitec
blog: kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com