Re: About AIX configuration for Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:49:21 +1000

There are no "fix all" magic settings. And a lot of the papers available from IBM may be slightly out of date: AIX keeps evolving and recommended processes do indeed change. On any papers you download, check which release(s) are they applicable to.

Here:
http://dbasrus.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-sometimes-does-matter.html I've put together some of the things that worked really well for us. Namely:
- setting largepages AND using them from Oracle guarantees they won't get paged out or swapped out. Other things may, instead. And you'll have less memory for file system buffers so if you happen to do a lot of buffered I/O, that will suffer.

Please read the whole post and the comments: there are good hints there as well and there is a link to the latest version of memory tuning papers. Pay particular attention to lrufilerepage setting.

Also please note that how Oracle handles Concurrent IO changes from patch level to patch level: you must check what yours is doing with truss. For example: CIO doesn't work with 10.2.0.4 until you apply a patch. Again: please read the comments as well as the blog post.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto