Re: Not to use SCAN in 11gR2 RAC

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 06:39:58 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for everybody's response. I tried to find official statement on Metalink and database documentation. Didn't find any. The closest is "Oracle recommends that you configure clients to use SCANs, but it is not required that you use SCANs." If anybody can find reference, please post.

I tried to use "srvctl stop listener -l LISTENER_SCAN1" to stop the SCAN listener and got an error that explicitly says SCAN listener can't be stopped. "kill <SCAN tnslsnr IP>" worked. After that, I can continue to use the connection string that resolves to the VIP's. I can't tell if there's any harm done. But I'll keep SCAN when I install for production, for reasons of future updates or patching, and because I didn't find an official statement I can remove it. I opened an SR on this.

Yong Huang