Re: What I saw at Open World 2009

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:21:17 -0600

I found Jared Still's blog very interesting and informative. A comment was made about GUIs being useful if the DBA didn't know anything about using scripts. I worked with one of those DBAs at my last employer. When the GUI broke and we couldn't figure out how to fix it quickly (took an SR and 3 days since it wasn't a Sev 1), he was lost and couldn't do his job. I was tasked with "bringing him up to speed" for his critical tasks. He wasn't at all receptive initially. Once he saw the power of customizing scripts, he did take more of an interest. I use both OEM and scripts. There are times the GUI is just too slow to enable me to respond as quickly as I need to in some situations. The graphical representation of the GUI has been a boon to me in helping executive management ( as well as my SAs) understand some of the issues we have with our production environments. There's a place and value in using both.

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.