RE: Zend Free Edition under Ubuntu and Segmentation Fault

From: Dunbar, Norman <norman.dunbar_at_environment-agency.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:21:29 +0100

Martin,

I've just had a look at the Zend supported platforms for Zend Core, Ubuntu (all flavours) is not mentioned.

http://www.zend.com/en/products/core/system-requirements

>> I tried it on FreeBSD Unix, but the system I could
>> safely try it on wasn't built with linux binary compatibility so
>> no go there.

FreeBSD isn't a supported platform wither I'm afraid.

Officially, on the Linux front, Only SLES 9 & 10 and Red Hat Enterprise 4 & 5 are supported. I presume that means the Oracle Unbreakable Linux and CENTOS are also "supported" in as much as they are Red Hat clones.

Unofficially, there are a few hits on the support documents for Zend Core when looking for ubuntu.

http://www.zend.com/en/support/knowledgebase.php?searchBar_byPublished=1 &searchBar_search=ubuntu&searchBar_submit=Search&searchBar_for=text&sear chBar_product[]=--+All+Products+--

And also, three hits for Zend Core and segfault:

http://www.zend.com/en/support/knowledgebase.php?searchBar_byPublished=1 &searchBar_search=segfault&searchBar_submit=Search&searchBar_for=text&se archBar_product[]=--+All+Products+--

>> I tried the installation on a Debian system that is a
>> few years old and it installed without error. It also runs
>> without a segmentation fault.

This does tend to implicate that the latest Ubuntu is incompatible in some way. :-(

>> PHP Warning: oci_connect(): ORA-12560: TNS:protocol
>> adapter error in /home/martin/oscript.php on line 4
>> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
Maybe, how did you specify your oci_connect() parameters. I have had extreme difficulty getting any connections to work unless I use:

$c = oci_connect($username, $password, $host . ":" . $port . "/" . $databaseSID);

Try as I may, I cannot get tns aliases to resolve, phpinfo() shows that I have all the environment variables and paths set that I need but no connections at all. Try the above, it might work.

>> On another ubuntu server system, the install.sh script
>> fails on line 10 with a "not found" error. This is a
>> system that was built near the end of last year and put on line
>> January 16 of this year.

I don't suppose you can find out what line 10 is trying to do? It might be a file that is missing, a library that is no longer there libname.so.6 being found when libname.so.5 is looked for - I often find that a quick "ln -s" helps out in these situations. (Not on production of course!)

>> Basically, the newer ubuntu systems don't seem to be able to
>> operate with the Zend binaries. It may be time to cut losses and
>> explore the possibility of building php from sources in such a
>> way as to include OCI extensions. I will discuss that in another
>> message.

The Oracle Underground PHP manual and the Oracle 2 day PHP course (pdfs) both miss out the installing of PHP from source. They both use Zend.

There is a book from Oracle Press, Oracle 10g Express Edition PHP Web Programming by Michael McLaughlin which covers both Zend and installing PHP from source. Pages 16-22. Which basically states:

  • Download and unzip php.
  • ./configure -with-apxs2=/where/to/find/apache2/bin/apxs
  • make
  • su
  • make install
  • Add LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so to httpd.conf.
  • AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phps .phtml to httpd.conf.
  • Add PHPIniDir "/etc" to httpd.conf.
  • Restart Apache.

HTH Cheers,
Norm.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk