10g RAC mixing Red Hat kernel types- can it be done ?

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:15:42 -0400

We have a situation where we need to upgrade the Linux kernel in a rolling fashion. The current kernel version is as follows-

Linux hostname 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 11:57:43 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I want to update to the ELLargesmp kernel to support more CPU's, but keeping the same version number, since the SMP kernel is limited to 8 cpu's. We do not want any database downtime, so if I change one system at a time to ELLargesmp and reboot, and start the instance, will this cause any issues with Oracle RAC ? Do I need to relink ?