Re: major blunders

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 06:55:30 -0600

Embarrassed to say this, but never use the .DBF extension.

Many years ago, when I was just starting with Oracle (after 12 years doing dBASE programming, and dBASE was still an active product), the server was getting full. I started looking around for files to delete, and needless to say, the database was down until the next day. This was on an old PRIME computer, and dBASE didn't run on it, so I just figured it must be okay to get rid of the old dBASE files, since some users did upload those to the server for further importing into tables through some external programs we had.

It didn't take me very long to realize that perhaps something else might use the same file extension as dBASE.