Re: vmware (again)

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:09:50 -0700 (PDT)

Actually... VMWare can run it's own OS (ESX is the name if I'm recalling correctly), so I'd say that Oracle's statement is not all that misleading. Of course, Oracle has it's own VM so there is no rush to support VMWare on Oracle's part I'd say... :-)

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

  • Original Message ---- From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ_at_tufts.edu> To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org Sent: Fri, October 9, 2009 2:23:35 PM Subject: vmware (again)

I read an interesting article about Oracle's certification of the database on vmware:

http://oraclestorageguy.typepad.com/oraclestorageguy/2009/04/what-the-oracle-vmware-support-statement-really-meansand-why.html

The gist is that while Oracle says (for non-RAC) that

'Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMware virtualized environments.'

this statement is misleading because Oracle only certifies the database for operating systems. Vmware is not an os so they are stating the obvious in an effort to confuse and scare people.

Just like to get people's reaction to this. I know that this has been discussed on this list before but I never looked at it in these terms before.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Oct 09 2009 - 17:09:50 CDT

Original text of this message