Re: major blunders

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:50:21 -0700 (PDT)

Some might disagree but don't use .log as an extension for online or archived redo log files. Sometimes admins look for space by searching for log files... the stupid ones add -exec rm {} to the find command and poof, it's a bad day. I know, I had it happen once... long ago..... in a galaxy far far away.... That admin is just about to start returning to the sun in the orbit my boot put his butt in.... :-)

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

  • Original Message ---- From: April Sims <> To: Sent: Wed, October 7, 2009 9:41:31 AM Subject: major blunders

Compiling a list of major blunders to avoid:

Don't use the number 8 for scripting or ORACLE_SID due to the wild card character * above it. Don't use rm *.*

Anyone else have some to contribute?

April Sims
SELECT IOUG Contributing Editor
OCP 8i, 9i, 10g DBA