Re: To do or not to do (export)?

From: David Ballester <ballester.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:19:32 +0200

2009/10/7 Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>

> Hi listers,
>
> As usual we are having discussions regarding backups... this time it's
> exports. Should we take exports of databases? Assuming we have a valid and
> reliable tape backup structure (TSM with TDPO or NBU with Oracle Integration
> Agent) daily incr/diff backups and weekly full backups. Hourly archivelog
> backups. Is there any benefit to export that is not covered by this backup?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> cheer.
> Alan Bort
> Oracle Certified Professional

Hi Alan:

Like a lot of things in this life, depends ;)

Having your backup infrastructure and policies is ok but, for example:

If you need to import data from a logical failure ( an admin/user droping/deleting a table for example ) you will need to clone de database using the last backup, apply archives until the instant before the drop -if needed-, open database, extract data ( export, select spool... ), import into the production database, clean the 'cloned' environment.

Depending on what type of data you loose, you will give no service in this period. If you can import directly from a daily/weekly export, you avoid the time of cloning and recovering, but may be you need to apply archives.. who knows, your question has no direct answer ;)

D.