Re: datapump export to pipe

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:24:54 -0700 (PDT)

But... what you are talking about was never an option Oracle offered. It was just something we did by virtue of the OS, and UNIX in particular. I don't think you can fault Oracle for changing the architecture and assign the "They did it so we have to buy compression" blame to that effort. One might apply the same argument to desupport of RAW file systems in an effort to force us to use ASM (which fairly is not licensed separately).

Now, what I'm wondering is why you can't still do the piped compression with expdp? Frankly, I used to do it all the time with exp, but I've not tried it with expdp. WIth expdp you still have a specific file name defined by the dumpfile parameter. You know the directory that the file is going to be created in (the directory)... knowing all that, why can't I setup the compression pipe just as we always did and start the export? Maybe I'm missing something not having done it with expdp that should be obvious here.... (probably and I'll be plenty embarassed when I figure out what it is).

Cheers!

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

  • Original Message ---- From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu> To: robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com; rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Tue, October 6, 2009 3:09:31 PM Subject: RE: datapump export to pipe

True, but you could compress an export through a pipe, and also decompress it through a pipe when importing. You cannot do that with data pump. You can compress the metadata using datapump without buying the compression option. You cannot compress the data. So yes, the ability to compress the entire output using common tools has been lost.

Ian