Re: log_archive_dest_state_2

From: John D Parker <orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 07:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

I'd be interested in seeing the steps you go thru to get it to switch from log dest 2 back to log dest 1. I set this up a while back and could get it to switch from 1 to 2 to 3.. but getting it to start back at 1 required quite a significant bit of magic that I don't remember at the moment. But, it wasn't particularly easy or clean.

John

________________________________
From:  "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
To:  <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date:  10/05/2009 01:54 PM
________________________________

I'd like to know the specifics, please!

Thanks,

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

________________________________
From:  "Newman, Christopher"
<cjnewman_at_uillinois.edu>
To:  <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>, <oracle-l@freelists.org>
Date:  10/05/2009 01:44 PM

Hi Joe,

The secondary location isn’t an ‘overflow’ one; it gets written to concurrently
 with the primary.  If you are having space issues, a good option
is to run rman archivelog backup periodically to backup the files and move
them someplace else.  Make sure to ‘delete input’ or ‘delete all
input’ depending on your need to keep one or both of your archival locations
cleaned up.

-       Chris