Re: ** adv replication versus streams

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_poderc.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 15:13:09 +0100

Going from Advanced Replication to Streams is not just a configuration change, but a rather strategic change. You would need to set up, configure, develop all the streams rules to match your replication ones, test everything etc etc.

I would rather find out why is adv replication slow for you? Maybe its something simple like incorrect TCP window size / network configuration or no propagation parallelism or just plain queuing table inefficiency.

By the way, if you replicate lots of changes *and *you keep your def$_aqcall tables in system tablespace you will have a big CPU overhead due system tablespace's db block checking which is on by default.

I've explained it here:

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2008/09/02/oracle-hidden-costs-revealed-part2-using-dtrace-to-find-why-writes-in-system-tablespace-are-slower-than-in-others/

Otherwise, if by "replication being slow" you mean that the changes aren't pushed fast enough, I would run snapper on the push job session and see where its time is going.

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com

-- Tanel Poder http://blog.tanelpoder.com -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l