Re: Clusterware tests

From: Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:37:09 -0400

I might be mistaken but isn't RAC included in Standard Edition licensing?

Based on this, RAC isn't an extra option you can purchase in EE.

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list.pdf

Also, you have to use ASM for the shared file system.

Also I think it is limited to 2 servers at 2 sockets each (not cores) so you could have hexacore or soon octo core chips as long as you only have 4 of them.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong as my memory is somewhat cloudy.

The good news with RAC is that you can run an instance of the same DB on multiple nodes to give you other things such as load balancing capabilities. Of course, with Standard Edition, you don't get EE features like partitioning, bitmap indexes etc... but many people don't use those features anyway so it depends on your needs if it is a good fit or not.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it> wrote:
> Am I using RAC option if I configure Clusterware? RAC Option is 20K per processor, it allows multiple instance db (not available in our environment) and it has not be installed at all.
>
> Alessandro
>

>>Yes, according to the documentation, ASM is the only choice for RAC in
>>Oracle standard edition.
>>
>>On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Am I mistaken, or isn't ASM a requirement for standard edition?
>>>
>>> Matt

>>> Enterprise +

Thomas Roach
813-404-6066