Re: Anyone every seen a VM image run in slow motion?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:50:49 +0800

I've seen Oracle crash on a VMWare Linux environment because it's processes are killed by OOM -- the OutOfMemory Killer -- which happens when VMWare's "memory balloon" architecture blows up a balloon and "steals" memory from the server. "sar -r" showed 2GB mysteriously disappearing from a 4GB server.

Hemant K Chitale

At 01:34 PM Wednesday, Ethan Post wrote:
>Thanks you guys were right on about that, firewall was blocking NTP
>sync. I am a bit sketchy on some of this "cloud" stuff because while
>I can see my servers I have no access to the servers hosting our
>environments. I experienced the hang (about 60 seconds everything
>locked up) right after the admin moved the VM to a new host (live)
>and then when it came back the DB was kaput. arc error. Not sure if
>it was the move or the hang or what, apparently these things get
>moved all the time for load balancing and we haven't seen any crashes before.
>
>ARC0: terminating instance due to error 472
>Errors in file /.../_ora_28944.trc:
>ORA-00472: PMON process terminated with error
>Instance terminated by ARC0, pid = 5784
>
>Long day :)
>
>On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Matthew Zito
><<mailto:mzito_at_gridapp.com>mzito_at_gridapp.com> wrote:

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com