Re: How can I identify the database

From: Bill Ferguson <>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:17:13 -0600

Re-reading the original question, I'm thinking that maybe you need a script of some sort, with limited privileges, to run on (or query) multiple databases, to determine what kind they are?

If so, and Gints suggestion of querying v$version doesn't work (which it should), I think the only other way would be to query some of the data dictionary tables to determine the max database size (which may not always be accurate). As I recollect, the Express version has a max database size of 4GB, so "most" databases under 4GB would probably be a likely candidate for the Express version, while those above 4GB obviously wouldn't be.

-- Bill Ferguson