Re: Oracle Taining Hardware for 5+ people

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:17:03 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Alex. It look like need to go more in openfiler but look like is what my friend is looking. Any other reference or link that can help in understanding is greatly appreciated.

Sanjay

From: Alex Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com> To: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:38:02 PM Subject: Re: Oracle Taining Hardware for 5+ people
  1. You buy a physical server which supports the required amount of memory.
  2. You install VMWare.
  3. You create a VM on this server with OpenFiler which will act as you iSCSI target server. It can provide iSCSI/NFS/what-want-you.
  4. Now you create your RAC clusters as separate VMs using VM with OpenFiler as storage provider.
  5. Your students will connect to these VMs for training.

Remember that to the outside observer a VM looks like a normal host. So you can be running 20 VMs on that one physical server which will looks, smell and taste as if you have 20 separate computers running in the same room.

This will eliminate NICs problem as well as you would be able to create virtual switches to separate public/private/iscsi traffic for educational purposes the only concern would be to have a switch to allow outside connectivity but even that can be done using wireless network these days i.e. no need for a lot of ports or even cables.