RE: Date bind variable being peeked, but not used for cardinality estimate

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:08:50 -0700

Thanks Stephane, but I just checked the table and it looks like none of the records are storing the time:

        select distinct to_char(acctg_date,'HH24:MI:SS') from ar_detail;

        TO_CHAR(
        --------
        00:00:00

Yes, you're right about the varchar2 in SQL*Plus:

        variable v1 varchar2(9);
        begin :v1 := '21-AUG-09';
        end;
        /

And I've tried both converting it explicitly:

        select /*batest*/ * from ar_detail where acctg_date < to_date(:v1);

And, letting Oracle do the implicit conversion itself:

        select /*batest*/ * from ar_detail where acctg_date < :v1;

With both of the above queries, Oracle does peek at the value and sees that '21-AUG-09' is greater than the max value of the column and so it does a full scan as expected, however for the 3rd party app, it seems to not peek and instead just guesses that it will only return 5% of the rows so it uses the index. According to the 10046 trace and v$sql_bind_capture, the app does indeed declare the variable as type DATE, so there shouldn't be any conversion required that would affect the peeking, however in the 10053 trace, it says "No bind buffers allocated" for this and all other bind variables of this query. There are 19 bind variables in the query in total, but this one on the acctg_date seems to be the main one that is causing the poor plan choice so I'm focused on it for now. I'm wondering if maybe there is a limit to the number of bind variables that will be peeked? I know in Kerry Osborne's blog (http://kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com/2009/06/oracle-11g-adaptive-cursor-sharing-acs/) he found that there was a limit of 14 bind variables for Adaptive Cursor Sharing, so I'm wondering if there is a similar limit for bind variable peeking in general.

Regards,
Brandon