RE: what is the data dictionary?

From: Goulet, Richard <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:32:40 -0400

Aw Bill, I remember building my own Apple][ for a motherboard, that was fun. Also helped that fella invent the handheld notcher for your floppies. That was real fun, ruined a lot of floppies before we got it right. OH yes I remember the old Osborne as well. The USAF used them to help aircrews flight plan. Problem was that they forgot about the printers. Can't remember how many LPT cords I created. Them was the fun days, with Bulletin boards instead of the internet. Viruses and other bugs had a harder time getting around then, but I think I prefer the current better. For one thing it's easier to read things today instead of only 40 characters at a time.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: Bill Ferguson [] Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:57 AM To:
Cc: Goulet, Richard; Martin Berger; ORACLE-L;
Subject: Re: what is the data dictionary?

You young whipper-snappers!

By cracky, I remember having to start on an old Osborne 1 'sewing machine' computer. Z-80 (8 bit) processor, 16kb of RAM, 62 column screen (had to scroll the screen to read a whole line), and 72KB single-sided floppies.

I was in heaven when some bright, enterprising soul discovered that we could simply flip the floppies over cut a new read-write notch on the other side and cut my floppy consumption in half!

  • Bill Ferguson

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 6:45 AM, <> wrote:

        I had 2 of those, never ran oracle on them though, ran dos and coherent(old flavor of unix that would run on a 80286). Had the math co-processor, 80287, made spreadsheet run quicker :)