RE: Question about time accounting at your work

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:41:05 -0500

Thanks for the insights guys. What is really sad is that I do a weekly status report, and a weekly project time sheet. I still tend to throw everything into the "support" bucket. I hate having to micromanage my daily tasks when no emergencies are happening.

What happened to the "drawbridge guy" mentality? (You know, the guy who's only responsibility is to make sure the bridge goes up and down all day. As long as you don't hear anything, the guy must be doing his job? You didn't "want" to hear anything about this guy because that meant something bad had happened LOL)

So, I think my problem is how to identify what I do and present it accurately which means I have to keep some kind of daily log I guess.

Anyone have a good template for weekly status reports? ;)

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

From: Goulet, Richard [mailto:Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com] Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:23 PM To: Taylor, Chris David; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Question about time accounting at your work

Chris,

    I've read all of the replies that you got up to today. I manage a small group of DBA's and yes we do time accounting against projects for two reasons that I really can't complain about.

    The first is that we work of capatilizable projects so they handle our dollars consumption through some sort of accounting magic that's different from normal time.     Second that account for our time and a number of other support personnel against specific systems in a way that allows to justify replacing one technology with another or an upgrade. Again some sort of accounting magic is involved.

    User maintenance is now being broken down by our new ticket system. What will become of that is yet to be seen. But I imagine it will end up as reasons for upgrades, replacements or maybe user training(I hope).

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 4:28 PM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Question about time accounting at your work

Ok fellow full-time employee DBAs I have a question. (Not for contractors :)

How many of you use project accounting at your place of work. Where every hour has to be accounted for against projects, or maintenance or some other code?

I was basically told I'm not "visible enough" --- this is 1 year after receiving a ton of awards and accolades for solving a problem at one of our sister companies. Now it "appears" that my value to the company is being questioned. I imagine questions like "What does he do all day?" are being asked.

Usually I lump database support into 1 group, and patches/maintenance into another group and performance tuning into a 3rd group. Now, I'm goign to have to start micromanaging my hours. I work for an internal IT department at a large corporation. I think we bill the other departments for services, but not sure.

Anyone else have to deal with this?