RE: Question about time accounting at your work

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:34:23 -0400

Early in my career I worked at places where time had to be accounted down to 5 minute intervals. While it was a hassle I did pick up a skill that is still valuable today, basically log everything. Every phone call, every conversation ( I don't have to account for my time like this anymore so I don't associate times any more with my list). It's amazing how it adds up. An added bonus is I did it with my kids to compare what my wife and I do for them and the house as opposed to what they do.

If you get the whiff that they want this information because they are thinking about outsourcing then it's a good idea to use this list to get your resume ready. The outsourcing ship is a hard ship to turn around once it's launched in your direction. They won't use your time to justify your value but how much the outsourcer should charge and how to allocate your time to Level A, B or C support.