Re: Question about time accounting at your work

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

Although I don't have to do this in my current position, I've actually recommended time tracking for DBA's as a lead.  The reason was simple and one you mentioned below-  rarely do anyone other than DBA's know what the value of a DBA is! We are commonly the first group to be shaved off from during budget cuts and the first position to be opened up again when the cycle of value realization rears it's ugly head... :) I also think it's incredibly important to show the value of your work and how much a DBA can provide in long-term saving to a company.  Primarily my skills keep my employers/companies from making unnecessary hardware purchases, pre-mature upgrades to systems, experiencing outages that could have been pro-actively stopped and ensuring that development to production is done right and not twice.  I have worked with DBA's and developers that thought the only way to show they were an asset meant they should create situations that required their intervention so that they could prove that they were necessary to the busines. In my eyes, that kind of "superman" behavior only makes them into a liability, not an asset.

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior
  • On Fri, 9/18/09, Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> Subject: Question about time accounting at your work To: "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 2:28 PM

Ok fellow full-time employee DBAs I have a question. (Not for contractors :)

How many of you use project accounting at your place of work.  Where every hour has to be accounted for against projects, or maintenance or some other code?

I was basically told I'm not "visible enough" --- this is 1 year after receiving a ton of awards and accolades for solving a problem at one of our sister companies.  Now it "appears" that my value to the company is being questioned.  I imagine questions like "What does he do all day?" are being asked.

Usually I lump database support into 1 group, and patches/maintenance into another group and performance tuning into a 3rd group.  Now, I'm goign to have to start micromanaging my hours.  I work for an internal IT department at a large corporation.  I think we bill the other departments for services, but not sure.

Anyone else have to deal with this?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.