Oracle 10g on VM with NAS

From: Rodd Holman <rodd.holman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:43:27 -0500

We are working on a proof of concept situation here:

The goal is to get a working system (DSS/DW) running on 10g (upgrade later to 11g) using the following

VMWare server on HP 4-way Xenon hardware OEL 5.3 in a vm
10gR2 upgrading to 11gR2
NAS storage using GB Ethernet to a BlueArc NAS device.

Have any of you set something similar up? Pros/Cons. What "gotcha's" were there.
Any special tweaks with init settings or kernel params to make it work?

I've been pouring through the installation manuals and docs from docs.oracle.com and googling.

Do any of you have any links that would be helpful in setting this up.

I know there are tons of SAN vs NAS arguments out there. I'm not looking to fight a religious war, I just want to try and make this work. If it's a total no-go that's what the report will state. I do want to give a good faith effort at making this a reality though.

Any suggestions, links, or hints would be welcome.

My current method of setting this up is to migrate existing system using transportable tablespaces. That is the reason I'm setting it up with 10g to start with. I'm upgrading to 11g to make use of the DNFS features.

Thanks

Rodd Holman