Re: Query execution question

From: Kerry Osborne <kerry.osborne_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:02:30 -0500

I totally agree with Brandon's comments (except maybe the 11g one - I just haven't found ACS that helpful, so far anyway). If it's just a single statement that's giving you grief, a SQL Profile may be a quick fix. Nothing's perfect though, so you'll need to test it to make sure it does what you expect. If there are a lot of statements that are suffering from this issue, SQL Profiles can become cumbersome. I have to mention that after spending a couple of months working with an SAP system (which as recommended by SAP, has _optim_peek_user_binds set to false) that I am starting to think this is actually a pretty good approach for systems that would otherwise have a lot of issues with bind variable peeking. The systems I've been working with works remarkably well without that added "feature". I know it's a "hidden" parameter, so please don't slam me too hard, but as I said, after a couple of months, I'm starting to think it's not such a bad idea. Certainly if I was the vendor of an app such as SAP I would prefer this approach. Feel free to flame away.

Kerry Osborne
Enkitec
blog: kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com