RE: "Headroom" in datafiles?

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:38:08 -0400

Chris,

    I don't really worry about datafiles that get "too full". What I do worry about is an object that can't allocate an extent within the tablespace.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:27 AM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: "Headroom" in datafiles?

I'm curious how much "headroom" people like to maintain in their datafiles? We have a large data reorganization procedure underway as part of our DR discovery process and I was playing around with some ideas.

I was thinking, we could allocate a fixed size for each datafile (say 32G for example) and not worry about space or autoextend until we reached some threshold.
OR
I could fix each datafile to have 10% free space at all times OR
something similar.

I think what bothers me is knowing that some of my datafiles are "99%" full for example while others are 5% full in the same database.

Do any of you get bothered by datafiles being a certain % "full"?

We've got gobs of disk space "right now" so I've been pushing this to the back burner for a while for coming up with a cohesive policy on datafiles.

Thoughts?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.