OT: Sample data

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:15:41 +0200

Listers,

    First, ANSWER PRIVATELY. Thanks.

I'm working on a video introductory course to SQL that will be free on the web and will allow users to practice their newly acquired skills alongside the video. I hope to be able to open it before the end of the year. I'm using a movie database for sample data and I wish to adjust the data depending on the geographical location of the user as told by the IP address, so that there is no (or at least not too much) westerner white middle-aged male bias to the data, and that users can find some data they are reasonably familiar with, feel at ease and concentrate on what is important - what I want to teach. There are some movie industries I know are very important and yet completely unknown to me (Egypt and Nigeria spring to mind), and in many countries even massive local hits may not be much distributed abroad. To take one obvious example, Indian cinema is usually synonym in Europe with Hindi cinema - You can find and watch "Sholay" or KKHH (I did), but for Tamil or Telugu movies it's a different story. And very often the movies that are best known abroad are very old classic movies - great, I love "The Third Man", very close to my idea of movie perfection, but I'd like to have some people alive in my table of actors.

I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me with:

  1. the 2-letter ISO code of the country where you live.
  2. The name of a reasonably recent local (or from a culturally close country) hit that should ring a bell with most people in your country
  3. The name of a FOREIGN movie that was also a hit in your country, so that I can have a common core to use for specific examples. Foreign doesn't necessarily mean US - but it can.

Latin characters please ;-). I'll manage to find the details I need on IMDB or Wikipedia.

TIA.
--

Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>