CPU Usage in running process on HP-UX 11.31

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:36:42 +0200

Hi folks

We have an issue on a database box where we have approx 1500 users connected to a database set up with shared servers (due to memory shortage). Now we have a situation where the dispatchers (there's 8 of them, more than enough for 1500 users, their busy state is less than 10% permanently) consume a LOT of CPU. They're always the top consumers. (Load average has gone up to a perm 3 (with almost constantly being at 90% and above ) compared to a comfy 50% average before). Users have not changed.

SR has been going with Oracle for quite some time. Everything has been looked at and confirmed to be set up properly. Now their "senior analysts" don't know what else to do, and are filing a bug.

Now I'd like to know if:

  • Do you know of a tool for HP-UX that will show me CPU usage in a running process per SYSTEM CALL (our unix guys don't)?
  • Is there a certain event to enable for dispatchers that will yield useful trace data to diagnose such an issue ?
  • Anything else that pops into your mind ?

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder