RE: Physical Reads and Writes

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:13:33 -0700

Maybe unlikely, but not impossible - just because the database is 300GB doesn't mean that users weren't only querying a small portion of it (e.g. just the most current data) at the time when you were running the sar command. I also work with several DBs in that same size range, but most of it is historical and probably less than 5% of the blocks are used on a regular basis - that's how we get by with just a 3GB buffer cache on a 300GB database. I'm not trying to say that all your blocks are cached, just saying that I wouldn't ignore it as a real possibility so I'd recommend digging deeper to see if it's actually the case or not.

Regards,
Brandon