RE: how to make a delete statement fail

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:14:59 -0400

But that won't actually raise an error, will it? Just cause 0 rows to be deleted.

-Mark

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Robert Freeman [robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 22:03
To: joe_dba_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: how to make a delete statement fail

How about using the where clause:

delete from duplicate where duplicate_id=1 and 0=1;

So the statement is fundamentally correct except for the last predicate.

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-) http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf