RMAN Duplicate a physical standby

From: Ravi Gaur <ravigaur1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:52:09 -0500

Hi List,
We are trying to duplicate a physical standby using the tape backups from the physical standby.
The primary and standby databases use Legato and different rman catalogs (different datacenters).
However, because of the standby controlfile we're getting this error while running RMAN duplicate from the standby backup --
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 08/25/2009 15:23:29 RMAN-05513: cannot duplicate, control file is not current or backup

I tried to search on this and got a couple hints to register the production controlfile with the standby backup catalog. Has anyone tried that or is there any other approach one could take? In the past, we've shipped the tapes from the primary backup to the standby site, scanned the tapes and have successfully run a restore. That is a time consuming process and I'm trying to reduce the time there.

The database is 10.2.0.4 and is on Solaris 10.

TIA,

  • Ravi