RE: Question about patch levels

From: Bobak, Mark <>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:31:44 -0400

I have no idea. To date, I have never done a PSU or a CPU. From what I read, the PSU will encompass the latest CPU...I think.....but don't quote me on that.... :)

From: Roger Xu [] Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 2:14 PM
To: Bobak, Mark
Cc:; Oracle L Subject: Re: Question about patch levels

So we need to pick either CPU or PSU from now on? Note 854428.1 says it's not easy to reverting from PSU back to CPU.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Bobak, Mark <<>> wrote:

Actually, Roger, that's not really true anymore.

Oracle has recently announced the concept of a PSU, or patch set update.

So, if you're on, and you apply the first PSU on, you'll be running After the second PSU, it will be

This is very new. I've never seen a PSU, let alone applied one, but, they're starting w/, and later plan to add one for

See MetaLink Doc ID 850471.1 for full details.

From:<> [<>] On Behalf Of Roger Xu Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:35 PM
To:<> Cc: Oracle L
Subject: Re: Question about patch levels

1st Digit is a major database release number.

2nd Digit is the database maintenance release number.

3rd Digit is the application server release number.

4th Digit identifies a release level specific to a component.

5th Digit identifies a platform specific release.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Taylor, Chris David <<>> wrote:

If you're running cpu patch 24, is there a version number for this like

Chris Taylor

Sr. Oracle DBA

Ingram Barge Company

Nashville, TN 37205

Office: 615-517-3355

Cell: 615-354-4799

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.