sqlplus on HP-UX

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:55:21 -0800

We have Oracle release 10.2.0.3.0 and 10.2.0.4.0 on our HP-UX and HP Tru64 machines. I found something very strange, though, on the HP-UX machines.

On the HP-UX machines, if our LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to the 10.2.0.3.0/lib, when we start sqlplus, even though ORACLE_HOME and PATH variables are correctly pointing to 10.2.0.4.0, the version of sqlplus that is started is the 10.2.0.3.0 version. If LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set at all, or is set to 10.2.0.4.0/lib, then the correct version of sqlplus is started.

On the HP Tru64 machines, the correct version of sqlplus is started no matter what we set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to.

I do know that we really should set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in all cases, but due to an oversight, it wasn't being set in our database startup scripts. So, now I'm just curious as to why we are now seeing a different behavior.

Any comments?

  • Maureen