Re: OID and tnsnames.ora

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:00:30 -0700

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> OID is a bear, and if all you want to do is use it for a centralized
> repository for service name resolution, I strongly recommend you look at:
> http://www.shutdownabort.com/tnsmanager/
>
> It will take about 30 minutes to set up, tops. It doesn't even require
> installation of an Oracle client.
>
> I've been running it in all environments (dev, preprod, and prod) for over
> a year. No problems, no hiccups, no crashes.

I still prefer SQL Names, too bad Oracle did away with it.

Names had one very nice feature that LDAP based name resolvers do not have: If the primary names server goes down, requests will quickly go to the secondary server.

With an LDAP (OID and tnsmanager) based system, the failover occurs only after the TCP timeout, which might be awhile, on the order of minutes.

Jared Still