Re: putting standby into a backup mode

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:46:01 -0500

You can use RMAN to take backups from a standby no problem, this is well documented. If you want to take a user-managed backup then you'll want to cancel recovery first and then copy the datafiles and arch logs (or take snapshots).

Don.

On 8/19/09, Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt> wrote:

> Is it possible to put a standby database in a backup mode?
>
> The question is weather a hot backup of standby database can be done while
> managed recovery is active.
>
> The first idea is to put primary standby into backup mode so that redo logs
> contain extra data.
> But my understanding is that standby datafiles headers need to be freezed
> as well. While recovery is active this is not the case, is it ?
>
> All in all the answer seems to be NO.

Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com
ultimate: http://www.mufc.us