Re: RMAN restore - what am I doing wrong?

From: Steve Baldwin <stbaldwin_at_multiservice.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 05:51:18 +1000

Thanks Robert. The directory doesn't exist. I didn't think it needed to as it would create directories as required. It certainly did that when it restored the control file.

(System B)
[oracle_at_lwdbc21 ~]$ asmcmd
ASMCMD> ls
DATA/
FRA/
ASMCMD> ls data
RAC21D/
ASMCMD> ls data/rac21d
CONTROLFILE/
ASMCMD> ls data/rac21d/controlfile
current.256.695186369

Strangely, rman says it restored the spfile but there is no spfile in ASM. From system A ...

[oracle_at_msdbc21 ~]$ asmcmd
ASMCMD> ls data
RAC21D/
ASMCMD> ls data/rac21d
CONTROLFILE/
DATAFILE/
ONLINELOG/
PARAMETERFILE/
TEMPFILE/
spfilerac21d.ora

Not sure if that is significant.

Thanks again,

Steve

On 19/08/2009, at 3:39 AM, Robert Freeman wrote:

> You would get a different error message if it could not find the
> backup set.
> If you use ASMCMD, can you cd to the filesystem +DATA/rac21d/
> datafile??
>

> Robert G. Freeman
> Oracle ACE
> Author:
> Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON
> IT'S WAY SOON!
> OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study
> Guide (Sybex)
> Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press)
> Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
> Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press)
> Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
> Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
> Other various titles out of print now...
> Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com
> The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church
> member in
> good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be
> breaking
> the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I
> promise! :-)
> http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and delete the email.