Re: RHEL5/10.2.0.4.0

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:39:31 -0800

FYI, from one of our sysadmins:

Not having consistent modifications times is a "feature" of OCFS2. What you are seeing is probably related to the following from the OCFS2 User's Guide:

"""
Modifications Times

To allow multiple nodes to concurrently stream I/Os to an Oracle datafile, OCFS2 makes a special dispensation from the POSIX standard by not updating the modification time (mtime) on disk when performing non-extending direct I/O writes. To be precise, while the new mtime is updated in memory, it is not flushed to disk unless the user extends or truncates the file or performs an explicit operation, such as touch(1). This dispensation leads to the file system returning differing time stamps for the same file on different nodes. While this is not ideal, this behavior exists to allow maximum throughput. Updating mtime on each write would negate one of the main benefits (parallel I/O) of a clustered database, because it would serialize the I/Os to each datafile.

User wishing to view the on-disk timestamp of any file can use the debugfs.ocfs2 tool as follows:

$ debugfs.ocfs2 -R "stat /relative/path/to/file" /dev/sda1 | grep "mtime:"

  • Maureen